15 hours/week (flexible)
A Volunteer Coordinator & Church Engagement Specialist
Volunteers play a pivotal role in helping WRD to reach its mission to “empower the local church to serve the most vulnerable.” Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds, beliefs and experiences. Sometimes they are members of our partnered local churches, or serve with one of our partnered community organization. Other times volunteers serve individually, and acting on a personal passion for engaging with refugees. Our goal is to connect volunteers to the refugee community and vice versa, so that refugees are provided with additional community support to help them reach self-sufficiency and thrive throughout their adjustment to life in the United States. We strive to encourage volunteers to serve holistically, partnering with refugees socially, economically and spiritually.
The Volunteer Coordination Intern serves as an asset to the volunteer coordination and church engagement department. This intern works to process volunteer applications, assist in volunteer training, engage with interested volunteers, connect individuals to volunteer opportunities, coach volunteers throughout their volunteer experiences and provide other volunteer support. This intern also assists with processing in-kind donations, developing the WRD internship program, planning and implementing WRD events, and managing volunteer databases, depending on the organizations need. Additionally, this intern serves in the area of general church engagement and outreach, as church engagement is key to successful volunteer coordination.
This intern is free to voice his or her creative ideas for improving systems, volunteer communication, organizational systems, materials, etc. He or she must have a great eye for detail, be quick to learn new databases and skilled at project juggling and prioritization. Additionally, he or she is welcome to suggest projects based on possessed skillsets and passions. He or she must be a self-starter, possessing skills in both independent and team work. A heart for the refugee community and commitment to seeing it served through relationship with the local Church is core to this position. The internship would increase an intern’s knowledge of Christian Community Development (CCD), non-profit operation, time management and task prioritization, the refugee community, organizational skills, professional writing, and church mobilization.
Specific Internship Responsibilities:
- Assist department staff in creating and implementing volunteer coordination strategy and goals
- Using WRD’s systems, process WRD volunteer applications, including release of liability information, background checks, orientation and training information, references and personal information about applicants
- Assist in mobilizing new volunteers and maintaining relationships with existing volunteers
- Update and work in WRD’s contact management system to keep track of volunteer relationships and data
- Implement volunteer coordination through emails, in-person meetings and phone calls with volunteers
- Maintain volunteer coordination databases
- Improve or create new WRD volunteer trainings and material
- Assist department staff in leading WRD trainings and orientations
- Coach volunteers about healthy relationship, partnership and service with the refugee community
- Assist in creating volunteer coordination materials, updating content in online tools, resources and volunteer toolkit
- Track and process volunteers’ mileage, donations and time in WRD’s systems
- Meet in-kind donors and process their donations
- Assist staff in improving and updating WRD’s internship program
- Attend and represent WRD at internship, ministry and outreach fairs
- Help plan volunteer-related events, assist with WRD fundraisers, and attend and promote Christian Community Development Association (CCDA) events
- Capture stories of local volunteer engagement with the refugee community through writing, photography, video (if skills allow)
- Create and improve opportunities for volunteer involvement with the refugee community
- Assist the church engagement team as needed