Title: RISE Camp Counselor
Purpose: Facilitates positive experience for youth attending the Refugee & Immigrant Summer
Enrichment (RISE) Camps, an opportunity for refugee & immigrant youth in Durham to access summer enrichment opportunities in a linguistically and culturally supportive environment.
* This is a paid opportunity – RISE Camp Counselors will receive stipends. *
Duration: Early RISE campers (grades K-5) from July 9th to the 29th and/or Teen RISE campers (grades 6+) from August 3rd to the 14th, with orientation and training in June. Preference will be given to Counselors who can commit to both camps.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support campers through activities such as academic enrichment in English & Math, STEM
- experiments/projects, arts & crafts, field trips, and more
- Foster a warm, supportive camp environment for 8-10 youth in one small group for the entirety of the camp(s), functioning as a role model who demonstrates good behavior maturity, and social skills
- Mediate conflict between campers with support from World Relief staff and bilingual assistants while proactively addressing potential disturbances in small group
- Take turns leading icebreaker-style games for full camp in the mornings before breaking into small groups
- Build mentoring relationships with all small group members, sharing from personal experiences and incorporating social-emotional and cross-cultural learning where appropriate
- Have fun!
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Experience in education, and/or youth services
- Strong preference for educators
- Preference will be given to refugee and immigrant applicants
- Preference for counselors with at least basic proficiency in a common refugee language (Arabic,Swahili, Pashto, Farsi/Dari, Rohingya, Karen, Tigrinya, French, Spanish, etc.)
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and organize in a fast-paced and fluid environment
- Ability to work with students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
TO APPLY: All interested applicants must fill out an intern application through the World Relief Durham website. The Youth Services Program Manager will reach out for an interview and further discussion about the counselor position.