15 hours/week (flexible)
The Church & Volunteer Engagement Specialist
WRD’s mission is to "empower the local church to serve the most vulnerable." We believe partnership with the local church and the wider community is for seeing the most vulnerable transformed economically, socially and spiritually. WRD currently engages with dozens of churches of different denominations, backgrounds and sizes in ministry to refugees, as they are the hands and feet of our work and mission.
Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds, beliefs and experiences. Sometimes they are members of our partnered local churches, or serve with one of our partnered community organization. Other times volunteers serve individually, and acting on a personal passion for engaging with refugees. Our goal is to connect volunteers to the refugee community and vice versa, so that refugees are provided with additional community support to help them reach self-sufficiency and thrive throughout their adjustment to life in the United States. We strive to encourage volunteers to serve holistically, partnering with refugees socially, economically and spiritually.
The Church Engagement and Volunteer Orientation Intern serves as an asset to the volunteer coordination and church engagement department to engage pastors, church staff, and volunteers in the Triangle as they work to mobilize their congregations to partner with the refugee community.
This intern is free to voice his or her creative ideas for improving systems, church communication, organizational systems, materials, etc. He or she must have a great eye for detail, be quick to learn new databases and skilled at project juggling and prioritization. Additionally, he or she is welcome to suggest projects based on possessed skillsets and passions. He or she must be a self-starter, possessing skills in both independent and team work. A heart for the refugee community and commitment to seeing it served through relationship with the local Church is core to this position. The internship would increase an intern’s knowledge of non-profit operation, time management and task prioritization, the refugee community, organizational skills, professional writing, and church mobilization.
Specific Internship Responsibilities:
- Assist department staff in creating and implementing church engagement strategy and goals
- Give presentations and represent WRD at local church events and Sunday services
- Maintain church engagement and volunteer coordination databases
- Assist in preparation for meetings with churches and key volunteers; attend meetings
- Assist in mobilizing new church and volunteer partners and maintaining relationships with existing partners
- Assist in creating church engagement materials, updating content in online tools and resources
- Help plan church & community events,
- Capture stories of local churches’ engagement with the refugee community through writing
- Create and improve opportunities for church involvement with the refugee community
- Using WRD’s systems, process WRD volunteer applications, including release of liability information, background checks, orientation and training information, references and personal information about applicants
- Assist in mobilizing new volunteers and maintaining relationships with existing volunteers
- Implement volunteer coordination through emails, in-person meetings and phone calls with volunteers
- Maintain volunteer coordination databases
- Improve or create new WRD volunteer trainings and material
- Assist department staff in leading WRD trainings and orientations
- Coach volunteers about healthy relationship, partnership and service with the refugee community
- Assist in creating volunteer coordination materials, updating content in online tools, resources and volunteer toolkit
- Track and process volunteers’ mileage, donations and time in WRD’s systems