15 hours/week (flexible)
A Volunteer Coordinator & Church Engagement Specialist
WRD’s mission is to empower the local Church to serve the most vulnerable. We believe partnership with the local church and the wider community is for seeing the most vulnerable transformed economically, socially and spiritually. WRD currently engages with dozens of churches of different denominations, backgrounds and sizes in ministry to refugees, as they are the hands and feet of our work and mission.
The Church Engagement and Outreach Intern serves as an asset to the volunteer coordination and church engagement department to engage pastors, church staff and key volunteers in the Triangle as they work to mobilize their congregations to partner with the refugee community. This intern also works to implement and attend WRD events and trainings with the local Church, the local community and the refugee population. This intern also serves in the area of general volunteer coordination and empowerment, as volunteer engagement is a key to successful church engagement and partnership.
This intern is free to voice his or her creative ideas for improving systems, church communication, organizational systems, materials, etc. He or she must have a great eye for detail, be quick to learn new databases and skilled at project juggling and prioritization. Additionally, he or she is welcome to suggest projects based on possessed skillsets and passions. He or she must be a self-starter, possessing skills in both independent and team work. A heart for the refugee community and commitment to seeing it served through relationship with the local Church is core to this position. The internship would increase an intern’s knowledge of Christian Community Development (CCD), non-profit operation, time management and task prioritization, the refugee community, organizational skills, professional writing, and church mobilization.
Specific Internship Responsibilities:
- Assist department staff in creating and implementing church engagement strategy and goals
- Give presentations and represent WRD at local church events and Sunday services
- Maintain church engagement and volunteer coordination databases
- Assist in preparation for meetings with churches and key volunteers; attend meetings
- Assist in mobilizing new church partners and maintaining relationships with existing partners
- Assist in creating church engagement materials, updating content in online tools and resources
- Help plan church & community events, assist with WRD fundraisers, and attend and promote Christian Community Development Association (CCDA) events
- Capture stories of local churches’ engagement with the refugee community through writing
- Create and improve opportunities for church involvement with the refugee community
- Assist the volunteer coordination team as needed